Friday, March 11, 2011

Philomel Books Changes Wolfsbane Cover?!

Here's the cover originally planned for the hardback edition of
Wolfsbane, by Andrea Cremer,
which is scheduled for release on
July 26, 2011:






Here's the new cover for the hardback edition, according to
several blogs I have browsed this evening:




As you can see, there is quite a stylistic difference between the two!
Some fans are so upset about this, they have even
started a Twitter petition to get
Philomel Books to go back to the originally planned cover.
If any of you are interested, you can sign up


There's also a new cover for the upcoming paperback edition
of the first novel, Nightshade
Now, this cover is the perfect match for the new Wolfsbane
cover for the hardback edition!
This doesn't make any sense at all!  It's a matter of
aesthetic appeal and common (design) sense.
The style of each pair of covers -- the two original ones,
as well as the two new ones -- point to the very obvious fact
that each pair was created by the same artist.
Therefore, each pair should be matched accordingly.

This is precisely what I suggested to the publisher
in a very recent email I sent them.


So, this is my suggested pairing for the hardback editions of Books 1 and 2:








And this is my suggested pairing for the paperback editions:









You don't have to be an artist, whether self-taught or trained,
to see the visual logic of these pairings.
The original covers match because of the similarity
of style they share.
The new ones also match, for the very same reason.

I sure do hope that the publisher's creative
and marketing staff will realize
what a huge mistake they would be making
by using the wrong pairings
for these covers!

Many readers do, indeed, judge a book by its cover,
although they might not be consciously
aware of this.
In this particular case, however, it's a matter of
not breaking aesthetic continuity.
I love both the original and the new covers,
but they have to be correctly paired.
In fact, being the obsessed book lover that I am,
I could see myself buying both the hardbacks and
the paperbacks, just so I could have each pair!

Yes, I am that much of a book addict.

I'm hoping that this publisher will listen to the people
who buy the books they publish!!

Here's the email address for Philomel Books,
for anyone who wishes to
contact them directly:



No comments:

Post a Comment

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)