Saturday, September 17, 2011

NEW BOOK MEME/BLOG HOP: On My Bookshelves #1



This is a new book meme/blog hop 
I'm starting today!


From what I've seen on other blogs, the emphasis for book memes seems to be on books that are to be released in the near future, have just been released, or haven't been purchased yet by the bloggers participating in the memes.  These are perfectly good themes to use, and I am by no means knocking them. 

However...what about those books which we so desperately bought, only to put them on our shelves, and then apparently forgot? (Horrors!!)  What's going on with them?  That's the reason for my new book meme.  I'm sure I'm not the only one in the book bloggiverse who has unread books sitting on my shelves, books I'm not even aware that I own, since I have so many!!  I want to remind myself about them, so as to be sure to read them!

So I went over to a bookcase a while ago, and looked it over, pulling out some books.  This was accompanied by much head-shaking and 'tsk-ing'.  I just couldn't believe it...

If this situation rings a bell for you, then feel free to join in the fun!!  "On My Bookshelves" will appear every Saturday.  Just take several minutes to go through a book shelf or two, select some books you especially want to read, grab my button (or make your own), and write your own post.  Then, leave the link to your post in the comments section, since I don't have a Mr. Linky widget...yet!


Here's my very first list!





Hannah Howell, Alexandra Ivy,
Kaitlin O'Riley
Trade Paperback, 304 pages
Kensington
August 24, 2010
Genre: Paranormal Romance


This is a collection of three stories by each of these well-known paranormal authors. 

The first one, titled "Highland Blood", by Hannah Howell, presents Adeline Dunbar, a woman who is attacked by a group of demon hunters, and is rescued by the very attractive vampire Lachann MacNachton.  (Och, those Scottish lads!)

"Taken By Darkness", by Alexandra Ivy, tells the story of Juliet Lawrence, who has inherited magical powers deemed quite useful by Victor, Marquess DeRosa, who happens to be London's most powerful vampire.  But that's not all Victor wants from Juliet...

In the story "Immortal Dreams", by Kaitlin O'Riley, widow Grace Sutton has been dreaming of a very handsome man, only to meet him in the flesh one day.  He is Stuart Phillips, Lord Radcliffe, who has been searching for her for more than a century...






Carrie Vaughn
Hardcover, 294 pages
HarperTeen
March 1, 2011
Genres: YA Fantasy, Romance


From the Goodreads Synopsis


Sixteen-year-old Jill has fought in dozens of fencing tournaments, but she has never held a sharpened blade. When she finds a corroded sword piece on a Caribbean beach, she is instantly intrigued and pockets it as her own personal treasure.

The broken tip holds secrets, though, and it transports Jill through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Stranded in the past and surrounded by strangers, she is forced to sign on as crew. But a pirate's life is bloody and brief, and as Jill learns about the dark magic that brought her there, she forms a desperate scheme to get home—one that risks everything in a duel to the death with a villainous pirate captain.





James Patterson, Gabrielle Charbonnet
Hardcover, 309 pages
Little, Brown & Company
April 28, 2008
Genre: Paranormal Romance


From the Goodreads Synopsis


As a little girl, Jane has no one. Her mother Vivienne Margaux, the powerful head of a major New York theater company has no time for her. But she does have one friend--Michael--and no one can see him but her. But Michael can't stay with Jane forever, and on her eighth birthday, her imaginary friend must leave her.


When Jane is in her thirties, working for her mother's company, she is just as alone as she was as a child. Then she finds Michael--handsome, and just the same as she remembers him, only now he's not imaginary. For once in her life, Jane is happy--and has someone who loves her back.




Jane Austen
Trade Paperback, 416 pages
HarperTeen
March 1, 2011
Genres: Classics, Literary Fiction, Romance


This immortal Austen classic follows the story of two very different sisters, Marianne and Elinor Dashwood.  Marianne is very impulsive and romantic, and falls hard for John Willoughby, whom Elinor warns her against.  Of course Marianne pursues the romance nevertheless.  Her more sensible sister, meanwhile, is herself disappointed in love, and strives to conceal the fact from her family.

Goodreads:  "Through their parallel experience of love—and its threatened loss—the sisters learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love."




What books have you apparently
forgotten you own,
and have yet to read?





4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea of this meme!! I'll be contributing as of next week :) Have you got a Mr Linky thing so I can link back to your blog?

    New Follower by the way :)

    Nix @ scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Nix!

    I'm so glad you love the idea, and am looking forward to your contribution next week! I'm trying to get a Mr. Linky, but no success so far... I won't give up, though!

    Thanks for comment and the follow!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea and very much in keeping with what I'm trying to do on my blog (i.e. review not only new releases but go back through my bookshelves and do re-reads)

    Let us know if you get the linky thing to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, wanderinghues!

    Thanks!! I think it'll strike a nice balance, since other book blog hops are concentrating on new releases, what to buy next, etc.

    I now have the linky widget for my second post! Hope you stop by and check it out!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)