Saturday, November 19, 2011

On My Bookshelves #9 (11/19 - 11/21)




This new weekend feature, hosted here, 
highlights the books that 
we have somehow never gotten to,
as well as those wonderful books we would love to re-read!!

If you'd like to join in, write your own post,
grab my meme button
(or create your own),
and add your post link in the Linky widget!

Have fun hopping over to other blogs
to see what books others want to either read or re-read!



Here's my list for this week!







Charlotte Bronte
Hardcover, 596 pages
Everyman's Library
January 15, 1991
(first published in 1847)
Genres: Romance, Gothic Fiction, Classics,
Literary Fiction


From the Goodreads Synopsis


Charlotte Brontë’s novel about the passionate love between Jane Eyre, a young girl alone in the world, and the rich, brilliant, domineering Rochester has, ever since its publication in 1847, enthralled every kind of reader, from the most critical and cultivated to the youngest and most unabashedly romantic. It lives as one of the great triumphs of storytelling and as a moving affirmation of the prerogatives of the heart in the face of disappointment and misfortune.



This is one of my several copies of
this immortal masterpiece.
I love this book so much
that I have collected several editions of it,
each with a different, and beautiful, cover!

I think it's definitely due for another re-reading,
since I will never get tired of
reading about Jane and Edward's love!!







Cynthia Hand
Hardcover, 435 pages
Harper Teen
January 4, 2011
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Urban Fantasy


From the Goodreads Synopsis


Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side....


I couldn't quite finish this book
the first time around...
I know why, but can't give out the reason
because it would be a major spoiler.
I will definitely go back to it, though,
because I've read the synopsis for the sequel,
Hallowed,
and it looks like my big question
will get a satisfacory answer there!







A.S. Byatt
Trade Paperback, 352 pages
Vintage
March 31, 1993
(first published in 1990)
Genre: Non-Fiction, Literary Criticism


From the Goodreads Synopsis


Whether she is writing about George Eliot or Sylvia Plath; Victorian spiritual malaise or Toni Morrison; mythic strands in the novels of Iris Murdoch and Saul Bellow; politics behind the popularity of Barbara Pym or the ambitions that underlie her own fiction, Byatt manages to be challenging, entertaining, and unflinchingly committed to the alliance of literature and life.



I really must get to Byatt's work.
She certainly has a stellar literary reputation!
One of my favorite genres is, after all, literary fiction.
This book is not fiction, however,
but a collection of essays analyzing the work of
various writers in the genre.

I think it's about time I began incorporating non-fiction
into this blog, although I would much prefer
to start another blog dedicated exclusively to it.
Unfortunately, my time is pretty limited,
so I might as well include such books
in my present blog!




What fabulous books are waiting
on your bookshelves
to be read or re-read?








4 comments:

  1. Unearthly sounds very good! I like the cover. One of my friends has read the book and loved it!! Thank you for sharing!

    I use Wordpress, and it doesn't support Google Friends widget. You can follow me on Twitter @BooksAllSeasons. Thank you!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sam!

    I really have to go back and finish reading UNEARTHLY. I did like it, except for one thing...but I will try to finish it when I do go back to it.

    Thanks for letting me know about the GFC widget! I wish I could follow you on Twitter, but I don't have the time to be on Twitter... I am on Facebook, though. If you have an FB account, maybe we could connect there.

    Thanks for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, would you believe I only read Jane Eyre for the first time this year? At the age of 27? I fell head over heels crazy in love.

    I kind of expected it to be dense and hard to read (like other classics I've read), but I devoured it. I read it compulsively, and stayed up late at night. When I couldn't discretely carry the book (like, uh, when I was meant to be working?) I read it on my phone.

    Jane Eyre is AMAZING. So beautifu and eerie and really alarmingly... I guess 'steamy', which I wasn't expecting. Like, the physical contact and kisses and hugs that Jane and Edward share I never would've expected to find in a Victorian novel.

    Oh, I could go on and on and on about Jane Eyre (actually, I did, I practically wrote an essay about it). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, there, Saz!

    Oh, it's so good to run into a fellow JANE EYRE fan!!!!! This novel is my absolute FAVORITE classic of all time!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!! I really have to re-read it, so that I can post a review here! And yes, the physical contact is pretty mmuch ahead of its time, or perhaps it did exist in those days, but no one before Charlotte Bronte had dared write about it! Fascinating, isn't it?

    I, too, could go on and on about this novel, because I think it's one that touches every woman's heart. Jane is what we all wish we could be -- a woman who dares to be herself, in the face of all the societal constraints of the time! Such constraints are still with us, even in the 21st century, and not every woman is brave enough to go against them...

    You say you've written an essay? I'd love to read it! (Unless you're referring to your comment, lol.)

    You're very welcome for the share, and thank YOU for such a wonderful comment!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)