Saturday, December 24, 2011

On My Bookshelves #11




My new weekend book meme
highlights the books that I have somehow
never gotten to,
as well as those wonderful books
would love to re-read!!




It's Christmas Eve, so I'd like
to feature
a Christmas book
that's very special to me!





Hispanic American Christmas Stories
Hardcover, 384 pages
Oxford University Press, USA
November 16, 2000
Genre: Christmas Fiction


From the Goodreads Synopsis


Thirty-six inspiring literary selections comprise this enchanting collection of works from Mexican, Colombian, Cuban, and Puerto Rican writers—writers who represent the range of Hispanic minority groups in the United States. Through these stories, traditional tales, songs, and poetry, readers gain a true understanding of the importance of the Christmas holiday within the Hispanic community, and begin to grasp the issues that inform the Hispanic American creative process—issues such as communal identity, patriotism, poverty, assimilation, and religion. With vivid illustrations and original Spanish text for all poetry, this fascinating anthology will inform readers of all cultural backgrounds, and give them the opportunity to celebrate this cherished time with a newly extended family.


This is a beautiful compilation of Christmas stories
from several Hispanic traditions!
I am most interested in those stories by
Cuban authors,
but I must admit that reading about the
Mexican tradition of the posadas
sounds wonderful!

The word "Nochebuena" literally means
"Good Night" in the sense that
it's a night of good tidings!
It's simply another name for Christmas Eve.
The Hispanic community celebrates it
with a special dinner, in which
the whole family participates.
Another component of "Nochebuena",
for Hispanic Catholics,
is the celebration of Midnight Mass,
which meaningfully completes
this very special night!

I'm certainly looking forward to
hopefully reading this book very soon,
perhaps starting tonight,
since today, after all, is December 24th!






No comments:

Post a Comment

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)