Saturday, June 8, 2013

Shelf Candy Saturday #71: Primary Inversion, by Catherine Asaro




Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!



This weekly feature
showcases beautiful book covers,
and provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
just click HERE.




This is my choice for this week!



(Saga of the Skolian Empire  #1)
Trade Paperback, 384 pages
Tor Books
May 15, 1996
Science Fiction



Why do I love this cover?

Everything about this image is fascinating!  The color blue is all over the composition, in shining streams of light of an otherworldly origin.  These are coming from the strange globe in the center of the cover.   This scene is set in space, and the globe probably represents an alien space docking station, which could be the reason all the spaceships are darting around it.  Or perhaps it's some sort of alien outpost, undergoing attack by an invading space fleet. 

All the exciting action reminds me of Star Trek and Star Wars!  There are two rival empires involved here, and that means there's war afoot...

The spaceships themselves are obviously built for speed and easy maneuverability.  The way they're placed creates very dynamic movement, thus creating the illusion that they are, in fact, slicing through space. 

The fonts used for this cover are very stark and plain, which is perfect, since the viewer's eyes are thus focused on the globe and the spaceships.

Since this book is not in my collection (yet!), I have no way of knowing who the cover artist and/or designer is.  However, there's no doubt that person is very talented!





What do you think of my choice?
Leave me a comment
and let me know!







2 comments:

  1. I love this cover. It really reminds me a lot of the science fiction themed art and book covers that emerged back in the 1980s. As you alluded to the picture reminds me of the attack on the Deathstar from the first Star Wars movie that was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      You're absolutely right! And yes, tat globe sure does resemble the Deathstar.

      I'm so glad you like tis cover! I want to get this book, for sure!

      Thanks for another great comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)