Saturday, June 28, 2014

Shelf Candy Saturday #118: Blue Lily, Lily Blue, by Maggie Stiefvater

 


Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!


This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful book covers!
It also provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
just click HERE.



Here's my choice for this week!



Blue Lily, Lily Blue
(The Raven Cycle, #3)
Hardcover, 416 pages
Scholastic Press
October 21, 2014
Mystery, Mythology, Paranormal Romance,
Urban Fantasy, YA


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17378508-blue-lily-lily-blue?ac=1



Why do I love this cover?

This cover just blew me away when I first saw it! I wanted to feature this book for "Waiting On Wednesday", since it will be released in October, but I decided to feature it here instead, so I could write something about the gorgeous cover!

This image is proof positive that blue is the absolute king of colors, although the tones used here run more toward aqua. This makes sense, since there's foliage around the girl's head.  This foliage cascades down to the girl's shoulders, as hair would.  Since she's a magical creature -- a fairy, most likely -- she might very well have leaves as hair.

The profile is really beautiful, too!  I love the smudges of aqua on her cheeks; this is a very nice touch. The hair on the top of her head falls in loose strands that somehow mimic the movement of the leaves.

The young fairy seems to be thinking about something -- perhaps about how she's going to resolve a problem she has encountered.

The contrast between this profile and the white background is part of what makes this image such a stunning one. The birds flying off into the distance in this background serve to give it some depth, as well. It seems as if the fairy has just stepped out of the forest. Another nice aesthetic quality of the white background is that it makes the title really stand out. However, I really do think that the font could have been a more graceful, ornate one, instead of one obviously modeled on ancient Roman letters. The designer really should have used a font with an Art Nouveau influence, instead.

As I gazed at this image, I was suddenly reminded of
The Green Man.  This is a motif related to ancient pagan vegetation deities, and I do think that this cover definitely has some relationship to it.

I have not been able to find any information about the cover artist, unfortunately. I thought that this information would be readily available in the Amazon reader, but alas, such is not the case! However, I'm wondering if the creator of this cover might be Stiefvater herself. She's an artist, as well. Who knows, she might be the one responsible for the cover of her own book. If so, this girl is really talented!!  Click on her name above, and you will be directed to her website, where you can see samples of her art.



What do you think of 
my choice this week?
Please leave me a comment
and let me know!
Thanks!!  






6 comments:

  1. I read the first book, but haven't continued. I will have to keep going with this series!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Missie!

      I have the first two books, and I need to read them! I would love to have a poster of this cover to hang up in my bedroom.

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting!! : )

      Delete
  2. I find that the contrasts here to be the most striking. How the aqua contrasts with the white and how the little bit of solid blue contrast with the aqua. The black also works well.

    As someone who loves the forrest, I also love mythological beings tied to the forest. I really should read up more on the "Green Man."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, the contrasts you mention are a HUGE part of what makes this cover so appealing! Of course, that aqua is absolutely lovely, too!!

      I do wish, though, that the font used for the title had been more ornate. I also wish the author's name were just a little bit smaller.

      Mythology is one of my literary passions! And yes, the creatures that live in forests are endlessly fascinating! I have a cursory knowledge about the "Green Man", so I, too, should find out more about him!

      Thanks for another super-nice comment!! : )

      Delete
  3. i haven't read the series yet but i do love the cover it's really one of a sort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the blue lily, lily blue. Your review is great, I want to read soon, love mysteries.

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)