Friday, October 21, 2016

Book Blogger Hop No. 72: Homemade Halloween Bookmarks To Give As Treats





Welcome to the Book Blogger Hop, 
Halloween Edition,
hosted by Billy @


For more information, and 
to find out the topic of next week's question, click HERE.


What to Do

1.) Post on your blog answering this week's
question:

 Instead of giving out candy to 
trick-or-treaters, you're going to 
give out homemade bookmarks.
What would the bookmarks look like?

(submitted by Billy @ Ramblings of a

2.)  Enter the link to your post in the
Linky list on Billy's blog.

3.)  Visit other blogs on the list and
comment on their posts. 

4.)  Be sure to find out next week's
question when you visit
Ramblings of a Coffee-Addicted Writer!





My Answer

I LOVE this question! How cute and creative, Billy! KUDOS to you!! 

Although we don't usually get trick or treaters in our area (I think many parents now take their kids to safe places such as malls), it does pay to be prepared!

I don't have any actual bookmarks made, so I have no pictures of these to show. However, I can share some of my ideas with you, and explain how to make some bookmarks.

MATERIALS

1.) Several sheets of plain white cardboard
2.) Several sheets of orange-colored cardboard.
3.) Several sheets of regular white paper
4.) White glue that can be spread with a small brush.
5.) A compass
6.) A pair of scissors
7.) Several sheets of aluminum foil
8.) One black Magic Marker (medium point)
9.) One green Magic Marker (thick point)
10.) One small roll of Scotch tape, new

OPTIONAL:

11.) A one-hole punch
12.) Several tassels -- orange and black

 
Crescent Moon Bookmarks

Take one sheet of plain white cardboard and cut it in half, for ease of handling. Then glue aluminum foil to both sides. Set that aside, and create a crescent moon template on a sheet of regular white paper. You can use the compass to draw two intersecting circles. Make sure that the area where they intersect forms a crescent. Cut this template out, and, with a small piece of Scotch tape, paste the template to one corner of the aluminum-covered cardboard. (Make sure the glue has completely dried first.) Cut around the template, and you have your bookmark. Lift off the template, and paste it down on another section of the cardboard. Keep repeating the process to make more bookmarks. When you finish with one half of the sheet, use the other half.

Pumpkin Bookmarks

Take the sheet of orange-colored cardboard, and cut it in half as above. On one half, draw circles (about 2" to 3" big) with the compass. Also draw a "stem" at the top of each circle. Color this green with the green Magic Marker. With the black one, draw vertical lines spaced out over the circle, and also draw in the eyes, nose and toothy grin. Fill them in with the black marker. Cut out each circle, and you have your bookmarks! When you finish with one half of the sheet, use the other half.

On the back of each of these pumpkin bookmarks, use the black Magic Marker to write the following, in big, bold letters: "Happy Trick or Reading!" 

BONUS!!

If you prefer, you can add tassels to your bookmarks. Just punch a hole at the top of each one, and tie on a tassel. 

I think it would be nice to give each child one of each of these bookmarks when they come trick or treating.

Here's another idea, in case you don't have the time or money to make the bookmarks above. However, you will need to use a photocopier. If you happen to have a small one at home, like I do, then this is an added convenience.

Harry Potter Coloring Book Pages

If, like me, you LOVE the HP series, you probably already own several of the coloring books. Buy an extra one that you don't mind messing up. Open this extra one, and tear out (there are dotted lines) several coloring pages. If this bothers you, remember that this is an extra coloring book; you have another one, new and undamaged. 

Lay each separate page on the copier glass, and make as many copies of each page as you want. When the trick or treaters come knocking, just hand out the pages to them. Give at least four pages to each eager little kid, and get ready for the squeals of delight!

Here are some sample pages, which I got when I attended the midnight release party for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, on July 31st. This party was held at Barnes & Noble. I had such FUN coloring, too!!


    

 

The pages above are from the following HP coloring book, but you can use any of  the coloring books that are currently out on the market.

 
 
     
I hope you all have fun crafting! Have a safe and Happy Halloween!! 
     



What are your thoughts on
this topic?
Please leave a comment!
If you're participating in this meme,
I'll go comment on your 
own BBH post.
If not, I will then comment on one 
of your blog posts!
Thanks for visiting!!! 





2 comments:

  1. Wow, Maria.

    What a marvelous post.

    I am not crafty, but this sounds fun. I may have to do this with my niece. She will be good at it. THANKS.

    ENJOY your weekend, and Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elizabeth!

      Actually, I'm more of a fine arts artist, but will also do crafts if I'm in the mood. I haven't made any of these bookmarks, because I just haven't had the time. But I did some thinking as to what i would do if I DID have the time, and these ideas came to me.

      As for the coloring book pages, I enjoyed them so much at the HP midnight release party, I figured they'd be GREAT to share, and they could just be copied and given out.

      I'm glad you loved these ideas, and that you'll try them out with your niece. You're very welcome!! Let me know if you guys make the bookmarks, and send me pics if you can!

      Hope you enjoy your weekend, too! Happy Hopping to you, as well!

      Thanks so much for commenting back, and leaving such a LOVELY comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)