Sunday, May 20, 2018

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 249: Aladdin and the Arabian Nights



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!


*Late Edition*
This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!



Here's my choice for this week!




Aladdin and the Arabian Nights
Leatherbound Hardcover, 352  pages
Barnes & Noble, Inc.
May 1, 2018
Children's Classics, Fantasy


https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/aladdin-and-the-arabian-nights-barnes-noble/1128233360?ean=9781435166141#/




  
My Thoughts About This Cover

Barnes & Noble is well-known for its totally exquisite collection of leather bound classics. I would love to have most of them! The reason I wouldn't want them all is that there are some I don't like -- such as the collected works of H.P. Lovecraft. 

This volume is definitely one I would LOVE to have! It has a most enchanting cover! 

First off, there's that GORGEOUS blue-green background that actually makes the whole cover look like a Persian carpet.  Then there are those mesmerizing, sinuous lines at the top of the cover suggesting ripples in water. The exotic-looking towers have a fairy tale quality that totally transports me to a land of magic and mysterious tales of genies and other dreamlike creatures.

I love the very graceful font used for the title, too! It imitates Arabic writing, and adds more magic to this already wonderful cover!

At the bottom of this image, surrounded by the palm trees so common to the Mediterranean and Middle East, sits Aladdin, blissfully riding along on his flying carpet.

Needless to say, I badly want to make this book a part of my B&N Collectible Editions collection! Since I do have the link to it (see above), it's only a matter of time before I do! I have also checked it out on Amazon, and it's actually much cheaper at B&N, so that's where I will end up buying it.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find out who created this LUSCIOUS cover..... All I can do is admire it from afar, until it can proudly sit on my shelves!

 

What do you think of 
this week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








6 comments:

  1. Hey Maria - I agree. I love this cover. I have come to really appreciate this shade of blue - green.

    I have also checked out the Barnes and Noble books in the store. They are really special. I would like to start my own collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Yes, this is a BEAUTIFUL cover!! The shade of blue-green is SO lovely!

      Oh, I wish I could own most of them.... As you know, I'm not into horror at all, so I would not be interested in the H.P. Lovecraft book, "Dracula", or the Edgar Allan Poe book!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite special Barnes & Noble editions. It's the most beautiful cover ever! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph!

      YAAAAAASSSS!!! This is one of the most BEAUTIFUL covers I've ever seen, myself!

      I want to get more of these books (I do own a few), except for any horror-related ones! Lol.

      Thanks for commenting!! HUGS!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. I looked it up - the illustrator is a Victorian artist, René Bull. I’m wondering if the cover art is by the same artist? If not, it might be worth checking out the internal artist’s work anyway. The pictures I saw on line are breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sue!

      Well, Bull did create the interior illustrations, but I don't think he created the cover. I looked him up in Wikipedia, and saw that his style is quite different from the style of this cover. Furthermore, I didn't find anything to indicate that ha had created it.

      I did not include any mention of the inside illustrations because I don't think I would be able to post them. It would probably be a violation of copyright law. Covers are another matter entirely. Posting them is considered "fair use".

      Thanks for commenting again! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)